Lime cordial isn't always available in the markets here in Finland or in the alcohol shop namely Alko. It hasn't been available on the Alko web shop long. The Rose's lime cordial syrup has a different texture and flavor as it has a number of additives and sweeteners. This is what set me to the journey of DIY lime cordial recipe.
There are many out there with slight variations, however the flavor isn't far apart. It is basically sugar syrup + lime + lime zest + citrus acid. The citrus acid serves as an additive.
The ingredients in the picture above is all you need to make lime cordial syrup which is used in the gimlet and in many other cocktails. In fact, if you have tried cocktails made with the factory-made lime cordial, you will most probably switch to DIY lime cordial for good because it is worth it! It is the perfect balance between sour and sweet. It brings the characteristics of sourness to the sides and back of tongue while covering the middle with other flavors of sweetness and whatever you have in the drink.
Below is a video showing how to make lime cordial at home.
- 4-5 limes, preferably organically grown.
- 400 ml sugar syrup
- 1 tsp citric acid
You will also need a grater to grate the lime skin.
- Grate the limes in a bowl. Make sure you grate only the thin layer of the skin, leaving out the white, as the white part of the skin is very bitter.
- Cut the limes into halves and squeeze the juices into the bowl and mix well.
- Add the citric acid and mix.
- Add the sugar syrup and place the mixture into a blender and blend at medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Fine strain the lime cordial in a sterilized bottle for future use.